Wednesday, September 11, 2013

You asked for It: Finding your Purpose

I recall one of the most deep and honest conversations I had with my husband.  We had just moved to Birmingham and we were sitting at an outside Mexican Restaurant middle of day.  He looked up to me and said you know what my biggest fear is:  Not knowing and living my purpose.   It struck me, one that my husband would show that much vulnerability which I loved and second the genuine sadness in those words. 

I'm always the one that used to search for it endlessly let alone talk about it.  I never felt truly fulfilled no matter the success, or the dreams that came to flourish in front of me.  Yet him, it was from such a place of concern.  For someone I thought so successful at such a young age and so confident, this came as such a shock.  A naive and young me told him all the "right" things at the time.  You are living your purpose.  Each day you go and do your best with the talents God has given you. I'm pretty sure if I asked him today, that answer really didn't get him to where he needed to be.

Fast forward today, many self help books later and mindless conversations on purpose.  Happiness projects, etc... I finally today know what my purpose is.  It lies in him. Notice emphasis on the "."  It's that simple. Doing what you are passionate about each and everyday to serve him, his word and his glory.

Colassians 1:16 For in him all things were created: things in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or powers or rulers or authorities; all things have been created through him and for him.

Today I'm going to ask you to think about 2 simple questions:

1. What is your unique passion?

2. How can you use that unique God given passion to serve him on this earth?

Friends today you will find an end to your endless searching, void and craving.  These two questions are as simple as it gets......

Dear Lord,

I come to you today for you to show me your gift and passion within me.  How I can use it for your Glory on my time here on earth.  Lord please let me not waste idle time on the mundane, in the searching.  Yet use my talents to make myself an image of your own.

No comments:

Post a Comment